Today, was a big day!
Members of Parliament from the Government caucus joined students from Ogden Public School learning to code to announce that Canada Learning Code will receive $7.9 million in funding from the Government of Canada’s new CanCode program to scale and grow our programs across Canada.
“Coding is the next big job. Industries ranging from automotive and agri-food to the life sciences and clean technology need coders, given their increasingly digital nature. That’s why our government is equipping Canadian youth with the digital skills they need for the jobs of the future. By teaching kids to code today, we’re positioning Canada for future success across all industries and sectors.”
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
Canada Learning Code’s project in collaboration with multiple partners focuses on increasing educational opportunities for coding and digital skills development for children grades K-12 in every province and territory with a specific focus on engaging youth that are typically underrepresented in the tech industry: girls, Indigenous youth, youth living in low-income, rural and remote communities.
Our programs aim to:
– help the participants to see technology in a positive light;
– increase the confidence of the participants’ ability to use and build technology;
– increase the participants; interest in the technology industry especially pursuing further learning and/or a career in technology;
– increase the participants’ skills and self-efficacy in coding and other digital skills;
– help the participants’ to see the technology industry as a place they belong, and;
– help the participants’ to see technology as a tool they can use to help solve problems for themselves and others with the intention of making the world a better place.
Our CanCode project will provide learning experiences for students and teachers (K – 12) through in-person workshops via the CodeMobile and our Chapters and celebrating digital literacy with a national coding celebration: Canada Learning Code Week in December 2018. Our project will reach over 169,000 youth and 6,000 educators coast to coast.
“We are so grateful for the support of the federal government to expand coding education opportunities across Canada. We are excited to work with teachers and students here in Toronto and across Canada to teach the technology leaders of tomorrow that this important life skill.”
– Melissa Sariffodeen
CEO, Canada Learning Code